(October 29, 2015) – Sixteen projects honored for excellence in architecture, exterior design, placemakingDENVER – Mayor Michael B. Hancock and Brad Buchanan, executive director of Denver Community Planning and Development, will honor 16 projects for excellence in architecture, design and place-making during the 2015 Mayor’s Design Awards ceremony tonight at 6 p.m. at the Chambers Grant Salon of the Ellie Caulkins Opera House.
“With this year’s winning projects we have a little of everything that makes Denver Denver,” Mayor Hancock said. “That is, history, modernity, creativity, vitality and community. These property owners, community members and design professionals have done beautiful work that has improved our urban landscape.”
Since 2005, the awards have been presented to Denver homeowners, business owners, nonprofits, artists and others for their creative contributions to the public realm through innovative design. Winners can range from community placemaking projects to adaptive reuse of historic structures to single-family residences to major mixed-use downtown buildings. Each brings something special to Denver’s unique visual fabric and speaks to our collective commitment to building healthy, sustainable communities.
The awards ceremony will be held at 6 p.m. tonight at the Chambers Grant Salon of the Ellie Caulkins Opera House, Denver Performing Arts Complex (1400 Curtis Street). The event is free and open to the public; a reception will follow. For more information on the event and the awards, visit DenverGov.org/MDA.
The 2015 Mayor’s Design Award winners are:
- Bradford Real Estate Office, 2956 W. 32nd Ave.
- The Boathouse, 1850 Platte St.
- Industry, 3001 Brighton Blvd.
- Mestizo-Curtis Park Playground, 3181 Champa St.
- Curtis Park Garden Cottage, 2857 Stout St.
- Whittier Alley Loop, 4 blocks between Williams & Race Streets
- The Moffat Depot, 1500 Little Raven
- Union Station North & South Buildings, 1705 17th St. & 1615 Wynkoop St.
- 16M, 1560 Market St.
- Wurstküche Restaurant, 2036 Broadway
- Art In Transit, 3200 – 5200 W. Colfax
- The Butterfly Walk, La Alma Lincoln Park, 1100 Mariposa St.
- The Armstrong Center for Dance, 1075 Santa Fe Dr.
- My Block – Wash Park, 255 Washington St.
- Gulliver-Lynch House, 227 S. Lincoln St.
- Izakaya Den, 1487A S. Pearl St.